Since January 1, 2004, the Personal Information and Protection of Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) has applied across the board to all personal information collected, used, or disclosed by organizations. Personal information does not include the name, title, or business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization.
From time to time, Northumberland United Way (NUW) may share experiences of individuals who have been helped by NUW member agencies. The information in these experiences is used only with the express permission of the individual.
1. Accountability: All employees and volunteers of NUW are required to protect the confidentiality of personal information. NUW’s Privacy Officer is the Finance & Operations Manager.
2. Identifying Purposes: NUW uses personal information only to help in fundraising, processing and receipting donations, responding to any information requests, and with consent, public recognition for donations.
3. Consent: NUW collects, uses, or discloses personal information only with permission. Consent may be expressed in writing or be implied, and can be provided in person, by phone, by mail, or by the Internet.
4. Limiting Collection: NUW limits the amount and type of information gathered to what is necessary for the identified purposes.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention: NUW keeps personal information only as long as required by law.
6. Accuracy: NUW maintains appropriate procedures to ensure that personal information is accurate and up-to-date.
7. Safeguards: NUW maintains appropriate technical and organizational safeguards to protect personal information against loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification.
8. Openness: NUW will make specific information about policies and practices relating to the management of personal information readily available. Personal information is never provided to another organization (including organizations receiving donors’ designations) unless requested by the donor.
9. Individual Access: The donor may ask whether NUW holds any personal information and may review the information to ensure that it is accurate.
10.Challenging Compliance: NUW will investigate all complaints and correct any inaccurate personal information based on the outcome of the complaint.
All pledge/donations forms shall include a reference to the policy: